Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Vocabulary Words


Image result for hooked on phonics worked for me
image source: http://www.bentbeat.com/feeds/posts/default



When going through the vocabulary terms for the three chapters, here is the list of terms that were unfamiliar to me: 

  • phonetics approach- I have never heard this phrase.  I am sure it has to do with teaching reading by using phonics and phonemic awareness if I was guessing. The image and song that keeps popping in my head is the commercial- Hooked on Phonics- It worked for me!  I plan on using the phonetics approach in my classroom.  When students come to unfamiliar words, it helps to sound out the syllables.  I still use this method when I am reading and come to words that I don't know.  
  • balanced literacy instruction- "integrates phonics in grades K-2 and continues with word study through eight grade, along with reading quality literature" according to our textbook. I would use a variety of literacy approaches to appeal to various types of learners.  By using this method, a teacher would be "covering all the bases so to speak" or "combining the best of both worlds".  I would do read-alouds, guided reading, shared reading, independent reading, and word study.
  • invented/temporary spelling- that is when you "guess or invent" how you think a word sounds.  I can see how this may be helpful for younger students.  You can keep their writing samples and see how students have progressed.  I used to work for Scholastic.  I had the opportunity to meet and talk to Dav Pilkey, the author of  the Captain Underpants series.  He has Dyslexia and ADHD.  He gave me some great advice about teaching children to read and write.  Before I talked to him, I disliked his book series. Previously, I worked for a company that printed his books.  It drives me nuts when words are spelled incorrectly!  However, he explained that his book series shows students that they don't have to be perfect spellers to write.  He said that shouldn't stop children from writing. They should do the best they can. He said that some teachers don't like his books.  His books have been met with much opposition.  But he is used to that.  One of his teachers, whom one of his characters is based off off, told him that he couldn't make a living from drawing cartoons!  He showed her, LOL. 
Here is a sample page: 
Related image

image source: https://store.the-best-childrens-books.org/collections/dra-level-40
  • anecdotal record keeping- The index card idea was interesting. I need to read some more information about this. I hadn't realized that teachers kept a sample of students work to compare progress in a portfolio. 
  • Image result for anecdotal record keeping for teachers
  • image source: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/292804413253980776/
  • emergent literacy: The development of the two secondary language skills in young children. I would expose the students in my classroom to a wide variety of books.  I love books.  So far I have filled over 5 bookcases with books for my classroom.  I plan on sharing my love of reading with my students by having a cozy area in my classroom for reading that has an atmosphere like Starbucks.
  • language experience approach- In this method, the class shares an experience, such as going on a field trip or maybe they are doing a butterfly hatching project. Then the students write about it. I would have student write about simple things as well, such as riding the school bus or riding in the car, eating a meal, playing on the swing or maybe going down the slide. 
  • Four Blocks:  I have heard and used these approaches when substitute teaching.  I just didn't realize they were collectively called the "Four Blocks". 
Image result for four blocks

image source:  https://www.educationsupportsouthnetwork.com.au/2014/09/introductory-workshop-four-blocks-literacy/

Image result for phonics approach
image source: https://comicphonics.com/2013/04/12/is-phonics-is-the-best-approach-to-teaching-reading-to-young-children/

I think when I learned to read, we used a variety of methods.  Some words, we memorized on cards just like we memorized our multiplication tables.  We also used phonics to sound out words.  I believe that by using a variety of methods, we will appeal to diverse learners. 

7 comments:

  1. Great post Susan, I really enjoyed the images shared. I too think the index card idea for anecdotal records look interesting. This past semester my cooperating teacher shared her reading notebook. She has a section for each student in her class and it includes their reading records, reading level, and any other pertinent information that would be helpful for the student's growth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree a phonetic approach seems to work well from what I have observed in field experiences. The last 30 hours hours of my observations were done in a first grade classroom that implemented it. It really helped students understand blends and digraphs better as well as sound out unknown words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Variety is the key, but detailed approaches covering all bases is the best. You will have single minded learners, but usually they can pick up a little from all types of learning styles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, Dav is a unique and interesting writer. I think that's actually a very creative and considerate approach on his part. It causes me to wonder how effective that really is on kids. DO they really feel better and get that message when they read his silly books? Hmm. From what I am learning in this class, I would assume that he's correct.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, I'm wondering if DAV is his pen name, and his real name is Dave, and that he chose that pen name for the same reasons.

      Delete
  5. His full first name is David. He went by Dave as a shortened form of David. When he was briefly employed at Pizza Hut, they forgot to put the e on his name tag, it just read Dav. He decided to use that for his books.

    ReplyDelete